Applying for Your Pennsylvania Learner's Permit

If you want to get a Pennsylvania learner's permit, you must be at least 16 years old. Before heading down to a driver license center, it's a good idea to make an appointment.

When you apply, you'll need to present:
-A completed Non-Commercial Learner's Permit Application (Form DL-180)

-If you're under 18 years old, the DL-180 form must be completed by a parent, guardian, or spouse who is at least 18 years old or older.

-You must have a medical professional conduct and examination on you and complete the required medical section of this application.

-A completed Parent or Guardian Consent Form (Form DL-180TD). This form must also be signed by your parent or guardian.

-Proof of identity (e.g. original U.S. birth certificate, certificate of U.S. citizenship, valid U.S. passport). A full list of documents is located on the reverse side of the application.

-If you are changing your name, you must present original documents supporting name changes (e.g. a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order).

-Proof of residency documents, if you are 18 years old or older (e.g. bank statement, W-2, lease or mortgage). Acceptable documents are listed on reverse side of the application.

-Proof of residency is not required if you're under 18 years old.

-Your Social Security card.

-A check or money order payable to Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for $35.50.

You will also be required to pass a vision screening and a written permit test (see below). Once you pass both of these, you'll receive your Pennsylvania learner's permit, which is valid for 1 year.



Parent/Guardian Consent Form 


Replacing a Lost or Expired 
​Driver's Permit

Lost PA Learner's Permit
If you lose your learner's permit, you can apply for a replacement either in person or by mail. The replacement license will be valid for the time remaining on your original.

In Person
-Visit a Driver License Center in person.
-Complete and submit a Non-Commercial Learner's Permit Application to Add/Extend/Replace/Change/Correct form (Form DL-31).

-Pay the appropriate fee of $5 by check or money order, payable to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

-Your duplicate Pennsylvania learner's permit will be handed to you over the counter.

By Mail
-Download and complete a Non-Commercial Learner's Permit Application to Add/Extend/Replace/Change/Correct form (Form DL-31).

-Fill out a check or money order $5, made payable to “Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

-Mail your payment and application to:
P.O. Box 68272 
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272

You should receive your duplicate PA learner's permit within 7 to 10 business days after processing.

Expired Pennsylvania Learner's Permit
You can apply for an extension to your learner's permit if it expires, or if you need more time to practice. You can also apply for an extension if you fail the road test 3 times. Extensions are valid for up to 1 year from the date it was issued.

-To apply for an extension, go to your local driver's license center and:
Fill out the Non-Commercial Learner's Permit Application to Add/Extend/Replace/Change/Correct (Form DL-31).

-Pay the $5 duplicate learner's permit fee.

If you are unable to go to a driver's license center in person, you may send the application and the fee (check or money order made payable to “ Commonwealth of Pennsylvania") to:
P.O. Box 68272 
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272

Permit Application to Add/Extend/Replace/


PA Permit Behind-the-Wheel Requirements

With your learner's permit in your possession, it's time to polish your driving skills with behind-the-wheel practice. This practice may only be completed with a licensed driver 21 years old or older.

During this phase of the GDL, you must:
-Log 65 hours of supervised driving with a licensed driver.

-10 hours must be at night.

-5 hours must be during inclement weather.

-Once all 65 hours have been completed, a parent must sign a Parent or Guardian Certification form (Form DL-180C), which you will turn in when you apply for your junior driver's license and take your road test.

-You must hold your learner's permit for a minimum of 6 months before you can take your road test for your junior driver's license. 

Parent/Gaudian Certification Form